Monday, June 1, 2009

Breakfast with Shamu - or a Killer Whale a lot like Shamu




On the 21st of May, Scarlett, my stepdad Craig, my mum and myself went to Seaworld in San Diego. At Seaworld we first went to have breakfast with Shamu. Unfortunately Sahmu is dead so they have another Orca there called Courtney, she is the biggest and oldest Orca Whale at Seaworld. She is over 40 years of age. So at breakfast with Shamu, we had a table next to the rope gate, on the other side of the gate was a gigantic pool in width and length. So while you ate your breakfast you could see the giant Orca Whale doing tricks with a tiny human.

Once we had finished breakfast we went to look at the dolphin exhibit but that was closed down as was the shark exhibit. 30 seconds later, Scarlett my sister threw a tantrum. She really wanted to see the sharks and dolphins.

We all then hurried off to see the Manatees to stop Scarlett from crying. Craig had gone off to explore and Scarlett had stopped crying. When Craig came back he said that Mum and I were going swimming with a white artic whale at 1.30. My mum went white in the face with excitement and I was so happy I could faint. Scarlett said , Mama, Elmo. There was a Sesame Street play area. When we got there it was a wet area so we got Elmo Swimmers. We played there for about an hour. P.S., it was great.

Finally the time came to swim with the Beluga Whales. The trainers came to pick us up. Then they led us to a room in which we could interact with a real Walrus. Then they said to feed the Walrus, he had very poor table manners! Anyway, I fed him a fish, it was pretty cool.

Then we went to our change room to put on our Wet Suits. When everyone had put them on we went for a swim with the whales. When we got in , I discovered how cold the Artic water can be, it was freezing. They live in water that is about 5 degrees Celsius. I patted them and played with both the whales, I fed them some fish, and it was just amazing. The trainer taught us some hand signals, and I learnt how to get the whale to make noises through it's blowhole and also how to splash people. I managed to get the whale to splash mum. It was amazing. I think that that was the best day ever for me and my family

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chelsea, I love your blog. It's great and really funny too. Well done.
    From your Co-blogger, Aunty K xx

    ReplyDelete